ASK AN EXPERT - CONFINED SPACE HAZARDS
Posted by Lisa Alsdorf on
“When educating about Confined Space Utility work, what are three important things to remember?"
We asked this question to Mark Cangemi, CSP - Our Senior Technical Training Specialist. Always eager to train on this topic…he didn’t stop at 3.
- #1 causes of fatalities are due to preventable atmospheric hazards.
- There are approximately 150 annual fatalities in the United States due to confined space entry. That’s 1 death every 2.5 days.
- At least 60% of confined space fatalities are "would-be rescuers" attempting to rescue an entry victim.
- The proper PPE for confined space entry and rescue can differ depending on whether those spaces have Vertical or Horizontal access. "It is important for employers to recognize if their confined spaces require vertical or horizontal entry and access in order to determine the correct PPE for the application.
Mark also provided a few helpful resources on this topic:
- Confined Spaces
- Permit-Required Confined Spaces
- OSHA-1926.1203 - General requirements
- OSHA-1910.146 - Permit-required confined spaces
Are you interested in taking confined space training with Honeywell?
Honeywell Safety Training provides real-world, hands-on training tailored to the needs of the customer. Our experienced trainers bring years of experience and knowledge to assist customers in their confined space training.